Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fog, the Brooklyn Bridge, an X-Pro1, and platinum printing

I had been waiting for a foggy day to go and photograph the Brooklyn Bridge. Yesterday the weather cooperated. My intent was to capture images for later conversion to platinum prints. I find that the Fuji X cameras with their 16mp APS-C sensors produce better results when converted than full frame cameras with higher resolutions. Platinum printing is an analog process done from a film negative. I have to use an inter-negative to convert from digital, and find the results from an X camera deliver a look closer to analog film when printed.

For this first study, I wanted to capture the seagulls flying around the bridge. There is never a guarantee the birds are going to cooperate.  I had to take quite a number of exposures to finally capture this version. 

This is the image I had in mind for the bridge in fog. It is a 40 second time lapse shot at f/22 with a 9-stop neutral density filter on the 14mm lens. 

Taken with the 55-200mm zoom to squash the perspective of the cables and the bridge, this is the only photo  where I used a lens other than the Fuji 14mm . 

Here I put the X-Pro1 in 16:9 crop mode to gain more of a panoramic format and emphasize the complexity of the bridge cabling. 

3 comments :

  1. Very nice set of images - we had fog this morning - and I forgot my camera (Nikon dSLR) at home.

    Perhaps I should invest in a Fuji X…..

    Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive. Very grand yet elegant. Hope that desktop and hard drives didn't give you too much of a headache, heh, and that data storage wasn't a problem ( the project file for this image ain't to slight, I'd presume ), which shouldn't be.

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete