Thursday, January 9, 2014

Some thoughts on the new Fuji X Mount lens roadmap

A little while ago I wrote a blog column speculating about future development of accessories that could jump the Fuji X camera series up a notch with a fuller range of lenses having characteristics that many pros require. Most specifically I was referring to medium and long zooms with fast apertures of at least f/2.8, and some extra long and fast telephotos. I am not sure if someone from Fuji read that column (doubtful), or if I was reading the minds of the planners at Fujifilm (just as doubtful), but the new lens roadmap for the X series cameras contains all the lenses I suggested.

Of course, making a speculation like this is not rocket science. If we look at any pro lineup of lenses, it is bound to include just these types, and with good reason. Where we don't find such a lineup is for the smaller APS-C sensor cameras. Another recent post of mine mentioned Sigma as addressing this exact issue with its new Art series zooms, the super fast f/1.8 18-35mm, and the 50-150mm f/2.8 long zoom, both very high quality lenses intended specifically for APS-C sensors. What all this does show is that the APS-C sensor size has reached a maturity level where pros are beginning to accept it for mainline work.

Amen to that.

New Fujifilm X mount lens roadmap:


The two most important new lens announcements from Fuji are the mid-range XF16-55mm f/2.8 zoom (24-83mm equivalent), the XF50-140mm f/2.8 long tele zoom (75-210mm equivalent), a fast long super telephoto yet to be revealed, and a fast aperture wide angle. Also introduced is an all-around zoom, the variable aperture XF18-135mm f/3.5-6.7 (27-203mm equivalent). 

This extension to the Fuji optical lineup coupled with recent and continuing X camera improvements reinforce Fujifilm's commitment to the X camera system, and goes a step further in establishing the APS-C sensor, mirrorless cameras as a workable pro genre -- something most current X camera enthusiasts already knew.

A camera system is only as good as its lens support base. As Fuji X owners have come to realize, much of the appeal of the X system is that the manufacturer listens to its users and makes course corrections to accommodate them. This new optical lineup shows them doing it again.  I, for one, want to say thanks. 

2 comments :

  1. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the 56mm f1.2 !!! I may still buy a few other 50mm lenses due to their own unique character for making portraits. I REALLY wish Fuji would get some better speedlights that can do HSS. They really needed to include a pc connection to the X-E2 as well. My Canon 5d has served me well over the years but as a former Contax user, I have never jumped for joy over Canon lenses. I can honestly say that this little Fuji makes me want to take more photos and I find myself taking it everywhere with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your blog, Tom. I have a couple of XE2 bodies, the 14, 23, 35, 55-200. Trying to use this kit in place of my Canon's, so tired of having to carry so much weight. I also own a x100s. Trying to decide whether to sell my 23mm -- it doesn't seem to "sing" the way the 14 and 35 do. Thoughts, anyone?

    ReplyDelete